Monday, November 18, 2013

Homemade Gluten Free Cereal


Hands up those of you who struggle to find a good gluten free cereal? If you’ve had experiences like us, you will know that store bought cereals are either ridiculously expensive, full of sugar, or just plain disgusting – unless you like the taste of cardboard that is.

I’ve also found that a majority of packaged gluten free cereals contain sultanas. I often find myself thinking, why? Why is this even necessary?! For those of you that don’t know me I will fill you in. I can handle dried fruit – dates, apricots, or cranberries are fine – but I cannot handle the sight and taste of sultanas and raisins! So when they pop up everywhere in my gluten free food I get really cranky.

So for this reason I thought why not make my own special mix? This way I can add all my favourite things into one yummy bowl of gluten free cereal!

Below is a recipe for a super easy no bake gluten free cereal mix.

{Gluten Free Recipe} Homemade GF Cereal Mix

2 cups puffed rice
2 cups caramelised buckwheat
1 cup coconut flakes (or shredded coconut)
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup cranberries
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chia seeds



Combine all ingredients thoroughly together into one bowl.

Serve with milk or yoghurt and fruit or honey to taste. For dairy free options try using soy, rice, almond, or any other dairy free milk desired. I’ve been enjoying Coyo Coconut dairy free yoghurt with this Gluten Free cereal mix lately. A very yummy option!

This gluten free recipe is easily variable. Mix and match ingredients to your taste. You may even prefer to include sultanas if you wish :)

Makes approximately 700g. Store in an airtight container.



*All ingredients available from most health food stores. Make sure to check ingredients are specifically gluten free, as some will be processed on machinery that also processes products containing gluten.


post signature 

Did you enjoy reading this blog? For more great tips and tricks follow us on FACEBOOK!

2 comments:

  1. Wow... your blog is fantastic! I love all of your recipes and restaurant recommendations. Please continue to post more. I'm a huge fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely feedback! So glad you found us and enjoy our blog :)

      Delete